After much hype surrounding Venezuela’s recent breakthrough in the crypto world, namely Petro, it seems that the project is under criticism again. In a shocking twist, Venezuela’s national assembly has deemed Petro to be unconstitutional. It has criticized the country’s oil-backed currency through a public statement, labeling it as a “fraud” and warning investors to stay away from it.
Much of the criticism stems from the unconventional nature of Petro’s token sale in general. According to the Venezuelan President, the project had raised over $735 million, which has raised a lot of eyebrows in the administration. Lawmakers have deemed it a result of the ongoing political crisis in the South American countries.
Reasons for Doubting Petro
- One of the foremost reasons of doubting the credibility of Petro is when one takes the buyer’s manual into consideration. It indicates that the PTR token will work on the chain of NEM blocks during the pre-sale stage. Investors remain wary of NEM, partly due to the 2015 incident involving a larceny of $500 Million. Experts believe that Petro will be built on top of the NEM network with a possibility of a swap with the ERC20 token at a later period. There is a possibility that Venezuela could be using a NEM-derived code to develop a new ledger. No officials from NEM have any comment on this matter whatsoever.
- A Majority of cryptoanalysts, economists and even political opponents, including the Congress controlled by the opposition have been vocal against the project. According to some of them, it is nothing but a vehicle of corruption. Some senior lawmakers in the U.S. have also indicated that it is nothing but a ploy by the country to navigate past the economic sanctions imposed on the South American nation. Overall the crypto community’s response was mixed. Some journalists like Max Keiser have expressed his support of the project and its effect on the country’s hyperinflation.
- The resentment regarding Petro had manifested after the recent actions of forcing businesses and retirement accounts alike to accept and adapt it. Rafael Guzman, who has been a strongly voiced critic of Petro since its inception, has claimed that the project is merely a way for the government to embezzle funds. According to him, the project is not the solution for the country’s dire economic predicament and is a sure sign of corruption on the part of the government.
- Francisco Sucre, another well-known critic of the project has highlighted one particular point. National Assets cannot be used as collateral, meaning Petro cannot be backed by Venezuela’s oil reserves. He also added that due to the current state of politics in the country, the situation has become even more complicated.
- According to Prosperi , “The PTR began with a war of lies when Maduro said it was the first virtual currency, mentioned at the time of highlighting the monetary reconversion and the entry into force of the Bolívar Fuerte, and they said that from there the strength of our currency would emerge, On the contrary, it has lost value daily, and the Sucre was presented as a currency that would exceed the dollar.”
In spite of the harsh criticism it has been receiving, Petro also has its own share of fans and backers. State-owned companies and the country’s airlines were ordered by Venezuelan Leader Nicolas Maduro to accept this cryptocurrency. If implemented right, Venezuela can experience serious economic improvement and stability. According to many, Petro will fix the problem with the Bolivar, Venezuela’s currency which has steadily declined in value.
Petros’ new mechanism could attract international investors which will result in lifting up the country’s current credibility index. The Chinese Credit Rating giant Dagong has claimed that Petro will help the global currency system in the long run.
Disclaimer: This article should not be taken as, and is not intended to provide, investment advice. Global Coin Report and/or its affiliates, employees, writers, and subcontractors are cryptocurrency investors and from time to time may or may not have holdings in some of the coins or tokens they cover. Please conduct your own thorough research before investing in any cryptocurrency and read our full disclaimer.
Image courtesy of David Hernandez via Flickr
Should Crypto Projects Devote Resources to Community Growth and Marketing?
2020 has been an incredible year for crypto as investors have generated windfall profits and crypto projects have seen their businesses gain the spotlight they’ve been looking for. While Bitcoin has received most of the attention after major institutional investors announced they were accumulating the increasingly scarce asset, many altcoins have also seen their fair share of glory. When looking at all the big winners of the past year, the first project that probably comes to mind is Chainlink, having appreciated by more than 550% YTD and now valued at over $4.5 billion. But, the actual biggest winner of the year is HEX with a YTD return of over 5,000%.
I mention both of the above projects as they have each taken slightly different paths to achieve greatness. Chainlink has devoted resources toward building a fundamentally sound business with many strategic partnerships while HEX has spent vast sums of money on marketing and promotion. Both approaches are valid, but one thing is certain, it is absolutely imperative for crypto projects to let the crypto community know what makes them special. Of course, one of the reasons that makes crypto so valuable is the powerful blockchain technology that most projects are utilizing.
Cryptocurrency vs. Blockchain Technology
It’s important to make a distinction between blockchain technology and cryptocurrency. Although they are often used interchangeably, they are different. Blockchain technology and crypto were both created after the 2008 financial crisis, but cryptocurrency…
XENO starts VIP NFT trading service and collaborates with contemporary artist Hiro Yamagata
Hong Kong, Hong Kong, 24th December, 2020, // ChainWire //
The XENO NFT Hub (https://xno.live) will provide a crypto-powered digital items and collectables trading platform allowing users to create, buy, and sell NFTs. Additionally it will support auction based listings, governance and voting mechanisms, trade history tracking, user rating and other advanced features.
As a first step towards its fully comprehensive service, XENO NFT Hub launched a recent VIP service to select users and early adopters in December 2020 with plans for a full Public Beta to open in June 2021.
“NFTs are extremely flexible in their usage, from digital event tickets to artwork, and while NFTs have a very wide spectrum of uses and categories XENO will initially focus its partnership efforts and its own item curation on three primary areas: gaming, sports & entertainment, and collectibles.”, said XENO NFT Hub president Anthony Di Franco.
He also added “This does not mean we will prohibit other types of NFTs from our ecosystem However, it simply means that XENO’s efforts as a company will be targeted into these verticals initially as a cohesive business approach.”
Development and Procurement Lead, Gabby Dizon explained, “Despite our initial focus, we found ourselves with a unique opportunity to host some of the works of Mr. Hiro Yamagata. We are collaborating with Japanese artist Hiro Yamagata to enshrine some of his artwork into NFTs.”
Mr. Yamagata has been…
My Crypto Heroes Announces Issuance of MCH Governance Token
Tokyo, Japan, 24th November, 2020, // ChainWire //
My Crypto Heroes is happy to announce the issuance of MCH Coin as an incentive to players in the My Crypto Heroes ecosystem, aiming to allow them to craft a “User-oriented world”. The MCH coin is available on Uniswap with a newly created pool with ETH.
My Crypto Heroes is a blockchain-based game for PC and Mobile. It allows users to collect historic heroes and raise them for battle in a Crypto World. Officially released on November 30th, 2018, MCH has recorded the most transactions and daily active users than any other blockchain game in the world.
What is MCH Coin?
MCH Coin is being issued as an ERC-20 Standard Governance Token. The issuance began on November 9th, 2020, with 50 million tokens issued.
Of the funds issued, 40% are allocated to a pay for on-going development and as rewards for advisors and early investors. 10% are allocated to marketing and the growth of the ecosystem, and 50% are allocated to the community. The Distribution Ratio of the MCH Coin is subject to change via a governance decision.
The MCH coin will be used as a voting right as part of the ecosystem’s governance, with 1 coin being 1 vote. It will also be used for in-game utilities and payments. Additional information can be found here:
During December 2020 the first governance…